Clutch / Gearbox Problem

antgtir

Hello to all, im posting this message up for a friend of mine that hasn't been able to get himself logged on recently.

The problem started a while back, the clutch was changed for an RPS one i think, the clutch biting point was almost on the floor so he adjusted the pedal height so that it was at a reasonable ride height, this solved that problem, however after a while it started to become more and more difficult to select gears.

So after this he checked the clutch fluid and noticed that it was very dirty?? In order to try and remove the problem further he adjusted the pedal again so that it became easier to select gear, however it has started again and he is almost all the way on the adjuster?? What could this problem be?? I dont think he has any leaks etc as i thought it sounded similar to my prob a while back where it was increasingly harder to select gear, however i found out later (to late might i add) that the fork was split and started to bend and eventually snapped, thats why it was so hard to select as it wasn't working the clutch it was bending the fork :cry:

He says that the clutch is not slipping and if he stops the car he can manage to get it into gear.

Im now wondering if the clutch has been either fitted incorrectly i.e. permanently engaged as its been adjusted too much or its as a result of him fiddling with the pedal adjuster??

Has anyone else had these or similar symptoms?? If so could you please post what these where and what the final problem was?? Also a cost of rectifying the problem would be good as it will give my friend an idea of what to expect.

Many thanks in advance.

Ant. :D :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
antgtir said:
So after this he checked the clutch fluid and noticed that it was very dirty??
The seals in the master cylinder sound like they're on the way out. It could be causing an internal leak across the seals :? It might be worth changing it as they're not too exspensive.

antgtir

Fast Guy said:
antgtir said:
So after this he checked the clutch fluid and noticed that it was very dirty??
The seals in the master cylinder sound like they're on the way out. It could be causing an internal leak across the seals :? It might be worth changing it as they're not too exspensive.
The seals or the whole master cylinder??

I must admit i haven't been in the car to experience the prob first hand so cant really elaberate more on the symptoms :?

Any more possible causes??

Cheers for the comments Fast Guy :wink:

Ant.

O

Odin

I'd change the master cylinder and go from there, If it had been me I'd of changed the master/slave and clutch hose all at once when I had the clutch done because on an older car like are's it can save you loads of hassle in the long run.

I'd also flush the whole system with new fluid.

But would of added another £150 ish to the clutch bill.

rob

antgtir

vpulsar said:
I'd change the master cylinder and go from there, If it had been me I'd of changed the master/slave and clutch hose all at once when I had the clutch done because on an older car like are's it can save you loads of hassle in the long run.

I'd also flush the whole system with new fluid.

But would of added another £150 ish to the clutch bill.

rob
I agree with the method, and also agree with the cost as i got stung for that when when i had mine changed lol, at least i know its done though, one less thing for me to worry about.

I will let him know and let him take it from there, like with everything on cars its a bit of a suck it and see type of thing, change the cheapest and go from there, thats what i do lol.

Ant.

P.s. Cheers for the comments guys. :wink:

daz

i will tell you exactly whats wrong with this car shall i. as i had exactly the same problem gradually got harder and harder to select gear and when the car was moving if you tried to select gear sometimes it would crunch am i correct ??

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
daz said:
i will tell you exactly whats wrong with this car shall i. as i had exactly the same problem gradually got harder and harder to select gear and when the car was moving if you tried to select gear sometimes it would crunch am i correct ??

Think they've already hit the nail on the head mate... :wink:

Lowering biting point, dirty fluid etc... all points to master cylinder...

Rishi

daz

yeah i know rishi but mine had the same symptoms but was a different problem that had occured

Rishi

daz said:
yeah i know rishi but mine had the same symptoms but was a different problem that had occured

Do share... Always helps to know... Something else to look for too... :)

Rishi

daz

basically this had happened to the clutch plate never made any noise or rattles just got increasingly difficult to select any gears at all apart from when stationary and even then it was a fight.

Rishi

Yeah i heard about your woes...

Although you wouldn't have dirty fluid from just that... Your slave cylinder seals would be prerishing for the discoloured fluid...

Rishi

Rishi

daz said:
i never said i had dirty fluid :p he did :lol: :lol:

Exactly... I was talking about him(Ant)... He/his mate had dirty fluid... so was likely to be the Master Cylinder and not the RPS clutch issue you had... :roll: :lol:

I meant 'You' in general not specifically you... :wink:

Rishi

daz

hehehe lol he pm'ed me and it turned out to be his release fork that was bent :shock: :lol: 8)

Rishi

daz said:
hehehe lol he pm'ed me and it turned out to be his release fork that was bent :shock: :lol: 8)
haha!...

Might me more than one problem... ie. master cylinder... :D

Best check the whole system... :wink:

Rishi