CAT

LeeSmith

My catalytic convertor really really stinks badly of egg. It is definatly coming out at christmas, but i was just wondering why?

About a month ago I moved my car off the drive so my dad could get his car out to go to work, so i had the engine on for about 30 seconds and turned it off. I had to call the AA as the car wouldn't start again. Apparently because it was so cold, the cold start jobbie pushed more fuel through and i turned the engine off.... :oops:

Anyway the bloke said my cat will be knackered now - is this true?

A

Anonymous

from what ive heard, the cat generally smells like egg when its working.
and i cant see how the hell a bit of extra fuel would kill your cat...
sure if the cars running rich over a very long period it will slowly die, from the carbon buildup,(blocked up).
any way if you live in the uk, just get a decat pipe as you guys have the luxury of not needing the cat...

MarkTurbo

All cats smell like that its normal.

From what you said i would of thought your cat would still be ok, i think the thing that damages them is trying to bumpstart a car with a cat on cos you get neat fuel going through the exhaust which dosen't do them any good. Think thats right :?:

Anyway good excuse to de-cat it :D

C

charlie

i heard optimax makes the egg smell worse in catalyst equipped cars.

J

J-GTi-R

Mine used to hum good an proper, but once it was up to temp it would be ok. Smelly bloody things, don't even work properly in th UK anyway...

A

Anonymous

So thats why sometimes the car in front stinks of eggs - my girlfriend always blames me :(

zia

it,s because they use sulphur as one of the chemical in the cats :cry:
it doesn,t matter if the car overfuel you still get the smell weather it running rich or lean,to rich mixture poisons the cat and eventually kills it.
that,s why manufacturer use a lambda sensor :!:

zia

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I was under the impression that a cat was dead or dying when it smelled of rotton eggs. They are supposed to give out C02 (I think) and water when working properly, but like someone said they don't realy work too well, mainly because they need time to warm up properly and until then, they are giving more emissions out. So they are crap on short journeys but ok on long ones.

J

jasegould

was under the impression that a cat was dead or dying when it smelled of rotton eggs.
When I worked at a main dealer the brand new cars really smell badly of eggs....

LeeSmith

honestly, it's worse than any fart i have ever smelt in my enire life!
It never used to do it that bad until i had that problem with the flooding :oops:

but like i said i have to decat it anyway so more fun for me!

Thanks people

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

LEE, THROW THE PEICE OF SHI8T IN THE BIN AND GET YOUSELF A GOOSE CAT REPLACEMENT PIPE. IF YOUR MOTORS A HREG U DONT EVEN HAVE TO REPLACE IT FOT THE MOT.
IF U WANT ONE LET ME KNOW AS I CAN GET EM 25% DISC

LeeSmith

MORRISMINOR GTI-R said:
LEE, THROW THE PEICE OF SHI8T IN THE BIN AND GET YOUSELF A GOOSE CAT REPLACEMENT PIPE. IF YOUR MOTORS A HREG U DONT EVEN HAVE TO REPLACE IT FOT THE MOT.
IF U WANT ONE LET ME KNOW AS I CAN GET EM 25% DISC
Morrisminor GTI-R You have PM :wink:

C

charlie

the fd rx-7's (twin turbo ones) actually have an air pump, it pumps air straight into the main cat without going through the engine so the oxygen in there makes it really hot as the rx7's have poor emissions due to the nature of the engine.

The air pump comes on at set parameters, like idle, deceleration and things like that. Its a belt driven pump with electronic clutch, much like an a/c compressor.

*this concludes charles' off-topic useless information session for today*

J

jasegould

The air pumps are usually used on cold start to reduce the amount of unburnt fuel going to the cat because of the rich mixture. The air is injected into the manifold and the excess fuel is burnt before it reaches the cat.......well this is how it works on normal cars.

C

charlie

im pretty sure the air goes straight into the cat on the fd, you can see the pipe. and i'm also pretty sure that it comes on a lot of the time on the fd.

i think dad disconnected the airpump on his for some reason, and hes gonna take the cats out because of it.

I'll have to read up 8)