Can you lighten the standard flywheel??

A

Anonymous

hey,

Can anyone tell me if you are able to lighten the standard flywheel or do i have to buy an off the shelf lightened one???

Cheers kev.

Keira

Yes, i believe you can.

from another site..

If you are going to get your standard cast iron road car flywheel lightened then be sure to take it to a proper vehicle engineer and not just your local machine shop. Take off too much material and it might be weakened so much that it explodes in use. Given that flywheels (at least in rear wheel drive cars) tend to be situated about level with your feet, it isn't worth the extra acceleration if you lose both feet when the ring gear comes out through the side of the transmission tunnel like a buzz saw at 7,000 rpm. There are plenty of ex racing drivers hobbling about on crutches who'll tell you that this can and does happen. On FWD cars the effects can even more unpleasant - a flywheel entering the cabin can give you a split personality starting from just below the waist that will put quite a crimp in your day. Also when you remove any weight from the flywheel it will need re-balancing again properly. We'll be happy to do the job for you if you don't know of an experienced engineering shop.

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/flywheel.htm

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you don't carry passengers, don't worry. The flywheel is over their side somewhere. :wink: :p

A

Anonymous

where are you?? Would i be able to mail you my flywheel??

SickBoy

Dude

Check with some members on here cos i have looked into this and very few people seem to recomend it as a good mod

Im not machanically minded so i dont know but might be worth asking to avoid dissapointment later

Lee

Keira

You can mail me it if you want to, wont do alot with it though cos i'm a manager for a dry lining firm :wink: :lol:

I'm sure if you got in contact with puma racing they'd take it on for you, check their site.

www.pumaracing.co.uk

A sickboy says, depending on spec there isn't really much need for it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Allegedly for every pound you take off the rotating mass of the engine it's like taking the equivelant of 8 pounds(I don't think that's right but you get the idea) of the overall mass of the vehicle, so you should accelerate faster. It will also let your engine rev faster.
Some people say it gives you a rough idle as you lose some of the flywheels' inertia that gave you a smooth tick over before, also they say it makes launching abit and gear changing abit less for giving if you get the revs wrong.

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
I had a std flywheel lightened and balanced by HiTeq, who took off approx 3kg. The engine revs quicker and is more responsive when booting it. If you get this done, it MUST be balanced or you'll get a crap idle.

I'd recommend it :twisted:

Sweeny

I have one for sale, it was lightened and balanced a few years ago by Norris and is still fine.

I took it off due to fitting an OS Giken clutch and fly :twisted: .

If your interested make me an offer.

Cheers.

James.