cadwell park trackday yesterday

P

pulsarboby

me and gtirjoey did a day at cadwell yesterday, and after a dodgy start to the day (blowing a top rad hose) i took the stat out of car and went back on the track but could only run 4 or 5 laps a time before having to pit to let temps cool down.
i even ended up dropping the boost level to 1 bar and short shifting aty 4.5k rpm to help with temps (which did allow me an extra lap or 2)

heres the good news though:-D knocked 6 seconds off my best lap time and now in the 1.40s bracket which puts me right up there with the big boys and thats at just a bar of boost, altering my driving style and being less aggressive has certainly helped also, so im getting there.
engine and box were faultless along with the cars handling which was spot on.
all these things combined made it the quickest tintop car on track and also took out a lot of the single seaters also:lol:

downside to the day
1)as previously stated the water temp problems.
2)bl00dy inboard camera hasnt worked yet again, the vid has come out but its in a kind of negative format:? so can only assume the batt pack was low on the camera which caused it to go like this. its a real shame because there was great footage there of me and joe in my car taking out everything on the track:sad:
3)got black flagged and a severe b0llocking off the organisers for treating it as a raceday (2 black flags and days over) so i appologised and said it wouldnt happen again then he sent me on my way with my tail between my legs and head hung in shame:oops:

think young joe and his girlfriend had a great couple of days too, im sure it was an eye opener for him also in to how much fun this sort of thing can be. so hopefully he will be bit by the bug so to speak!
i believe joe has a vid on his phone so dont know if he can download that on here!

heres a couple of photos that were took, the first one looks quite good as ive got a bit of rear wheel lift lol

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>setImgWidth();</SCRIPT>

Last edited by a moderator:

smoked

good to see its working out bob, what are the cooling mods you speak of?

and your back to being a 1 bar mongue now i see

davey red.r

bob your awsome mate8)
wish i could make my rear wheel come up like that:lol: :lol:
car looks great matey:thumbsup:
is that the candy red front wing kit?

tudor;-)

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

yes trond was a good shot of the motor obviously not one i took lol

davey....yes is the front off the candy car and yep im well chuffed with the times:-D once cooling prob is sorted then il finally be able to do what ive been planning on doing for the last 2 years and start the circuit racing next year.

chris....basically yes for the time being im a one bar mong lol

Last edited by a moderator:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
1:40's eh? - I'll have come across to Cadwell next year and kick your ass ;-) :lol:

Good picks and glad to see most of it is coming together you bar mong :thumb:

**what was your best time that day?

P

pulsarboby

yep 1.48
will be good andy! theres some cheap ones in the new year so will be a laugh.

do you mean best time when i came up in the ol shitter with the dodgy wheel alignment?

this is the first time there in my car where ive managed to use the thing all day in spurts without something going badly wrong lol:doh:

P

pulsarboby

plenty karl.

basically on a trackday your not allowed to overtake in the braking zone
only overtake on the left
no overtaking on a bend (anywhere on it) even if its a long drawn out bend
no intimidating other drivers by hanging on there bumper
no drifting or sideways stuff

some companies are more strict with these rules than others (yesterday very strict), but i made an error of overtaking one car whilst the guy driving was under instruction and was in the braking zone!
i never cut his line and he had loads of room to turn in as i was the one who went off the racing line to go round him, but the instructor just also happened to be the organiser also:doh: but in all fairness to me the guy would not move over and let me through when he had time to so i think six of one and half a dozen of the other tbh.
but wasnt only that, evidentally i was clocked twice overtaking on bends by the marshalls and it was them that radiod through and got me the black flag! but i had to hold my hands up there and say 'fair cop'

on a raceday anything goes within reason, you overtake on the inside, outside literally anywhere you can, but obviously not by causing danger to your competitors

davey red.r

pulsarboby said:
yes trond was a good shot of the motor obviously not one i took lol

davey....yes is the front off the candy car and yep im well chuffed with the times:-D once cooling prob is sorted then il finally be able to do what ive been planning on doing for the last 2 years and start the circuit racing next year.

chris....basically (so im told, which makes sense) it involves altering the waterpump ratio so the pump spins slower as the pump will feed no water after 5500rpm due to cavitation!
there are other factors too but pm me if you want me to explain more in detail;-)
and yes for the time being im a one bar mong lol
hmm,
you may be racing against steve ferguson,
his is currently 575bhp/520lb,
so that should be a bit of a challenge you will relish,

davey;-)

DanDud

Looks like your finally gettin towards acheiving your goal Bobby! Nice 1!
What kind of allignment are you running on your car? What suspension are you on again cos it doesnt look like it has much droop from that piccy! lol

P

pulsarboby

yes im gradually getting there dan.....at last lol
im using leda coilovers front and rear with maximum damping to the front and backed off 4 clicks to the rears, also not using a lot of preload (find its more stable that way and gives a little more feel but thats something i still need to experiment with tbh.
toe in and camber are all at zero

one thing ive noticed that really does help is by running an extra 30mm track to the rear this seems to help the car turn in better and makes things very even when she breaks loose, 'no understeer or oversteer' but a lot of this is by pure luck, and not through skill of trying to set it up correctly:lol:

best time round cadwell on bike was a 1.52 so ive beaten that comfortably, but in all fairness my mate was hitting 1.46 on his gsxr1000 when he was racing there which is a very good time indeed, but im confident of beating that once i get the cooling prob sorted and up the boost to give me more grunt on the straights.

P

pulsarboby

joe wheres the photos of your car and did you manage to download the vid?

gtirjoey

i will email you pics in abit mate left the disc in my car will try and do vid now not exactely the best though

antgtir

Sounds like you had a great time, looks fantastic.

The track looks a very nice one, well maintained etc. Looks like the car is set up well, looks stable enough from the first pic, as Rishi has stated definately a calender pic.

I wouldn't have black flagged you lol, race on i say :lol:

Ant.