broken wheel nut

the chief

hi, ive broken my wheel nut!! anyone know away of getting the wheel off? dont tell me i have to drill the thing out. only the flange part is left the rest of it has broken so i cant get the socket on there :(

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I had a similar scenario a few years ago on a friends R’, we tried drilling what was left of the nut off the stud but it ended up in having to drill the alloy away around the remaining part of the nut. Luckily for us the nut was over tightened by one of the no brained monkeys at Kwikfit, and there insurance paid out for a new set of alloys :lol:

Keira

this may or may not work, could you not carefully grind the head of the stud off thats on the back of the hub, and then smack it all the way through the hub with a punch, i cant remember if they're tapered, i dont know if it will work, but it might do, then again it might not :lol:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
diesel weasel said:
this may or may not work, could you not carefully grind the head of the stud off thats on the back of the hub, and then smack it all the way through the hub with a punch, i cant remember if they're tapered, i dont know if it will work, but it might do, then again it might not :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, they are splined :-D

Got to be worth a try, another hub is a darn site cheaper than a new alloy

P

pulsarboby

i wish i could post pictures on here.
i had the same prob a couple of weeks ago with countersunk locking wheel nuts with no key!
i managed to get 3 wheels off ok but the 4th(last one) was a right mare, generally a few sharp raps with a small chisel and big hammer is enough to budge them, but this bugger would not budge, (even with oxy setelyne blow torch on it) so i ended up mullering the wheel just to get it off.
so now theres 3 bk alloys and one that looks a little different to the others, it broke my heart, smashing a wheel up like i did:sad: but really was the only way it was gonna come off!