Boost restrictor pipe removal?

G

GTI-R Kid

When fitting an electronic boost controller can this pipe be binned? We're going to have a front mount so I was thinking of replacing the restrictor pipe, brass joint (that attaches to the underside of the top mount intercooler) and pipe to the t-piece by the actuator with just one hose. Is this possible since we won't be relying on the factory solenoid to control boost?

Its pipes 5 & 9 in the image linked below. Just wondering if the restrictor is still needed for anything when using an aftermarket controller?

http://www.gti-r.com/Reference/BoostControls.gif

G

GTI-R Kid

Thats the sort of news I was hoping to hear. :-D

Can anyone else confirm Dan's findings?:thumbsup:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The only thing it will do is lower your boost, when the controller is off, by about 2psi below factory standard assuming a standard actuator (I think)

G

GTI-R Kid

Cheers for that Carl. Not a worry so.8)

Herself says hello to you too :wave:

Studlife

what is the point of the boost restrictor pipe, my R would not boost properly until i removed it, the the R runs spot on and will hold 1 bar

A

AJ4

Studlife said:
what is the point of the boost restrictor pipe
Its allegedly to minimise inlet reversion pulses having an effect on the boost solenoid, but all it does really is raise the boost ( not lower ! ). If you bypass the restrictor with a straight bit of pipe, the solenoid and actuator see more pressure from the plenum and opens the wastegate quicker. The restrictor 'holds off' this pressure so you see higher boost ;)

Not a technically correct argument, but good enough to be understood ;)