boost quicky......

turbodaily

wanna turn the boost up to 0.9bar, engine spec is standard apart from helix clutch,filter and exhaust system.

the question is do i need to touch the timing at all? the dizzy has still got the tamper seal on it so presume its running original import settings ( 20deg?)

thanks alot ;-)

Studlife

well it is my understanding that you need to run your best fuel option i believe it is optimax for you guys, so 20 deg would be good, anything lower than optimax you would want to retard the timing possibly 18 deg, open to corrections if my info is not correct guys

ram5ay

I ran 20deg at a bar on optimax no probs, every car is different though, might depend on a few things like ambient temp topmount/frontmount etc. Knock it back a couple of deg if you are at all worried, or get someone reliable to set it up for you.
Best to check your timing is what you think it is as well, even with the tamperproof seal still in place it could easily be out after 15 yrs of use. There's a how2 on the forum somewhere. ;-)

turbodaily

nice 1 cheers guys

im pretty confident itl be fine, im aso running iridium plugs. always run optimax or similar so cant see any probs, gotta fmic and uprated fuel pump coming within the next 3 weeks too =)

Studlife

ya mate you should be all clear to up your boost, 1 other thing i recommend is installing a new fuel filter incase you havn't already

turbodaily

ok ive turned it up to 13 psi, she holds 13psi fine in 3rd gear onwards but seems to hit 13 psi and drop off to around 11psi in 2nd gear.

now the question is this normal or is it just the standard actuator isnt very strong? - (if that was the case though id thought itd do it in every gear?)

she goes alot better now anyways =)

turbodaily

just drilled a hole in the boost solinoid for now until i get a boost controller. i guess thats why it fluctuates abit.

Studlife

could also just be that your turbo is tired, are you running the standard actuator line with the boost restrictor in it from the plenum?

Studlife

in this there is a boost restrictor in the black hose about 5 inches long, it is identified by a green band around tne vacume hose you could try removing these standard lines and running 1 silicon hose from the plenum to the T by the actuator,

mine would only hit 0.8 bar then i removed this and now it is better

also what level of fuel did your car have when the boost dropped below half perhaps?

may also be worth it to run a good injector cleaner

turbodaily

so where is the restrictor? inside the metal pipe itself or in a rubber pipe?

ive run an injector cleaner through it beofre i upped the boost.

CruiseGTi-R

2 psi is quite a drop actually, it ought to hold 13psi quite steady (unless you're talking about high revs).

What boost controller are you using?

sorry, just read above - it might be normal given that the ecu is controlling boost. Its probably quite conservative in boost delivery.

You are best off trying a different boost controller (just try an MBC type valve, they are only £20 or so) before worrying about actuators/other etc.

Last edited: