Boost Problem

T

tinny

Having a problem with my car boosting, you can drive the car normally and is fine just seems to be when you put it on full boost there is a hesitation/juddering as if something is blocked and it doesn't run smoothly. It does boost but takes a while to get through the hesitation problem and once it is cleared seems fine until it comes to use the turbo again I have had new piston and rings recently as it was burning oil on cylinder 4, and also new leads, plugs dizzy cap, distributor and coil which has made the car run smoothly, i just seem to have got this problem now. Would anyone have any idea's what it could be or what i could try

turboloon

try doing a ecu check also check for any boost leaks,do a search on here there are guys have had the same probs as you..

P

pulsar-gtir

Have you got an aftermarket gauge?? If so whats it boosting to???

red reading

take it to someone who know's there shit,it could be a fueling problem (i.e fuel pressure reg on it's way out)

T

tinny

Don't have an aftermarket boost controller on it, the car is completely standard apart from a full system exhaust. Will try both the ECU and fuelling side of things and see if that makes any difference and also check for any boost leaks. Thanks for all your help guys, will let you know if i get to the bottom of it

Bailey

I had a pretty similar issue and it turned out to be the fact that the MAF was full of crap, been fine since cleaning it up with a bit of brake cleaner!

warringtonjack

My money is on the MAF being dirty. Take the plug out of the maf unit, and have a look at the two sensor wires in it. They should be nice and clean like the filament in a bulb, but mine were caked in black crap. Get yourself some carb cleaner and use the straw to spray onto the wires. You shouldnt really need to touch em with anything, the blast from the carb cleaner should be enough to clean em.

Sorted my running problems out a treat, one of the best improvements I've done to the car. :thumbsup:

youngsyp

warringtonjack said:
My money is on the MAF being dirty. Take the plug out of the maf unit, and have a look at the two sensor wires in it. They should be nice and clean like the filament in a bulb, but mine were caked in black crap. Get yourself some carb cleaner and use the straw to spray onto the wires. You shouldnt really need to touch em with anything, the blast from the carb cleaner should be enough to clean em.
Just to expand on this..... If you're going to clean the MAF elements, your best bet is to remove the little black box of electronics from the MAF body. It's only two screws !

That way, you can clean the whole element(s) and not just the front. Gunk build up on any part of the element(s) will change the resistance properties and so affect how the engine runs !
When I took mine apart, it was clean on the front of the elements but, black and dusty on the back.

Paul

T

tinny

Thats great lads i will try this and see how i get on, really appreciate everyone's help and replies