Best place on engine for gauge sensors?

G

GTI-R Kid

Hi guys

Looking for advice/opinions on where to fit sensors for certain gauges. Have a temp probe for both oil and water, along with a sensor for oil pressure.

I have heard that people plumb the water temp into the top radiator hose. Is this the best place for an accurate reading?

What about oil temp? I've been reading about people fitting them to the sump but not finding it that useful.

Is there anywhere on the block to plumb in an oil pressure sensor? Where's the standard sensor for oil pressure? Is there some adaptor available (like t-piece for boost but bigger) that would allow an aftermarket gauge to take the pressure reading from the same point on the engine?

Or should i just give up and try find a sandwich plate for the oil temp and pressure?

Heaps of questions so any answers appreciated! :wink:

coxie

:D on the advice of a few tuners and owners i am plumbing my hks oil gauge in to the sump as its the same thread as the sump plug and was told by said tuners that there will obviously be a large amount of oil to take the reading from. :?

geoff pine

i have an after market water temp, gauge fitted in the top hose as thats the one that gets hot first. the sooner you get a reading the better if it was in the other hose and the thermostat jamed shut you would not know till the temp was critical. untill your oil temp reading was very high.

G

GTI-R Kid

Thanks for that guys.

Surely there's more than 2 people have aftermarket gauges and sensors fitted? Anyone else?

Please?

G

GTI-R Kid

Dooie Pop Pop said:
you should be able to fit the pressure guage in the original position, a boss may be needed :wink:
Does this mean that the (not particularly accurate) factory gauge will no longer work? Any idea where this boss might be sourced? Does the removal of the factory sensor cause any averse running problems or is it only there to give a signal to the original gauge and nothing to do with the ecu?

Thanks Dooie

G

GTI-R Kid

I found the brass adaptor in the link below on eBay. Unfortunately though, I can't seem to find out if it will fit in the original pressure sensor hole or not? I've tried reading through the Workshop Manual, checked quite a few forums and threads, but simply cannot find out the thread dimensions for this sensor. The brass adaptor would look to be perfect for my planned application - 3 connectors for aftermarket oil temp gauge probe, aftermarket oil pressure gauge sensor and factory fit pressure sensor, but will they fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=8008674407&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

The auction says that the fitting that screws into the block is 1/8 NPT (think its an American dimension?) - but I've no clue what this is or if it will fit. Anyone have any ideas please? Or anyone have a stripped/scrapped car that could measure the thread on the factory sensor?

Many thanks guys.

Dooie Pop Pop

1/8 npt is the probe thread i should imagine. having not removed the oe probe iv no idea what size thread it is sorry mate :(