Alternator problems

A

Anonymous

Right guys,

I have fitted a new Alternator to the car and re-attached everything that was need to be and now I have no dash light/stereo etc etc!

I used my 4x4 to charge it all up and as soon as I took the jum leads off the car stalled and died!

Any ideas to whats going on and any diagrams for this would be most appreciated

Thanks Tom

mattygti-r

when u mean new alternator?

is it recon'd ?

is it the uk spec one on an import car? understand these are different

is it an alternator from a breaker?

J

jiw

i was recently told by an altenator reconditioner at my local parts place that jump starting the car with leads on a dead battery can burn out the internal electronics on an altenator as it overloads it, dont know how true that is though, jeff

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check you reconnected all the wires, then try charging or changing the battery, if not the alternator maybe dead.

A

Anonymous

mattygti-r said:
when u mean new alternator? New to me tes

is it recon'd ? Erm got it from Lucas Parkinsons so maybe

is it the uk spec one on an import car? understand these are different Yes mines and Import car

is it an alternator from a breaker? No

Just answered you those

Erm cjecked ALL the fuses around the vechile and none blown!

Allways have jump-started my cars if needed and had no problems whatso-ever in the past!

A

Anonymous

Matty dunno mate cars been sat there for 3 months due to work and illness

How ya doing anyway buddy long time no hear!

A

Anonymous

Fast Guy said:
Check you reconnected all the wires, then try charging or changing the battery, if not the alternator maybe dead.

All wires connected with brand new ring terminals and the alternator is brand new

A

Anonymous

Just been out again to go through all the fuses and none are blown!

This is really starting to bug me as I dont wanna spend silly money with an auto-electrician

Guys how many wires are on your alternator

I have 2 sets of 2!

A

Anonymous

Been and looked at the relays aswell and all looks fine!

Still stumped to what it is!

A

Anonymous

Just found out thanks to Stoned

That one main wire whould be bolted on top on a thread with a 10mm nut!

One should bolt of the side (dont know what size but maybe 10mm again and I havent put it back there!)

But Im still wondering what the twin pin connection with yellow and black (small guage) wiring is

Maybe air-con?

A

Anonymous

TomBlack94-R said:
Right guys,

I used my 4x4 to charge it all up and as soon as I took the jum leads off the car stalled and died!
took me a good 45mins to get the car started after not using it for a month, i used my 1.1 fiesta to charge it so maybe give it a longer charging time, if thats not the problem and u say the lights are not coming on then it is surely a loose plug or wrongly fitted alternator or cable.. good luck

A

Anonymous

After having another go I finally got the damn thing going but still no dash lights?

Then found which wires wasnt connected properly, its a 4mm on the side of the alternator, and done this up!

Fired the car up again and got only the seat blet light on!

Then it decided to come lose and then no lights whatsoever!

Im fed up with skinning my knuckles on this damn car!

Ifanyone local fanceys popping over anf giving me a hand then your most welcome! Plenty of Tea and Coffee here!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is it starting and running ok now?
What came loose? the 4mm wire?
If you're dash lights aren't working it maybe a fuse for the side lights as they are often linked. (I'll check the manual later :wink: )

A

Anonymous

Fast Guy said:
Is it starting and running ok now?
What came loose? the 4mm wire?
If you're dash lights aren't working it maybe a fuse for the side lights as they are often linked. (I'll check the manual later :wink: )
1) Yes it was
2) The 4mm bolt which screws into the side of the alternator pooped out and lost it
3) Fuses are all ok

Thanks Tom[/b]

JIMMYBACK

the bolt on the side of the alternator seems to be a common but not spoken about problem on this sunnys/pulsars...... mine has snapped three times on my car and at the moment i have just used a bolt undernearth it just to support it at the mo cos it left part of the bolt in the hole itself :shock: timr for me to drill the little fecker out :shock: :shock: o wot joy :evil:

A

Anonymous

Decided after skining my knuckles a few times and getting very annoyed with it I have called the auto-electrician in and get it done!

PlusIve gotta have my reverse lights and foglight sorted for the MOT