air fuel ratio gauge

G

gavmc18

sorry if this is the wrong furom i hope its not

the problem is i have a autometer air/fuel ratio gauge didnt actually notice till last night but when i put the foot down a little the bar at the very end of the scale in rich was bright yellow but the two bars at that start were red but not as bright as the yellow but were still pretty bright

is this normal what does this mean my car is running

if i havent explained that well enough i will try and get a pic tonight

thanks gav

geetee

Don't bother.

99% of motors use a lamda sensor scale from 0 - 1 volt. The R being a "special needs car" has a lamda signal that goes from 0 - 1.6V.

This means that every AFR gauge off the shelf reads full rich the second you touch the accelerator. I guess that's fine - if the gauge ever reads weak - then you know you have a major problem :? But then the molten piston coming up through the bonnet is a good clue.

You have a few options...

1) forget it
2) Get a Motec ECU etc that doesn't use the standard Lamda - fit a wideband Lamda for ur gauge in it's place.
3) tap another hole in ur exhaust manifold for another sensor to feed ur gauge.
4) Use an EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) gauge - far more useful. Still need to tap another hole in the exhaust manifold b4 the tubby. Then get a roller setup done and record he EGT values. Other posts on the forum will have info on optimal EGT's. Then if you see the EGT change you know you have a prob.
5) Wire your light show AFR gauge to your stereo speaker output - it'll be about as useful as it is now but a damsite more entertaining :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
geetee said:
Don't bother.

...... Wire your light show AFR gauge to your stereo speaker output - it'll be about as useful as it is now but a damsite more entertaining

:lol: :lol: :lol: