17's....Recommended width and tyre size?

A

Anonymous

What the rcommended tyre size for 17'' rims, also the width?

And whilst im here, whats your rubber of choice?

Cheers

Ben

bengilmore

Usually a 17" wheel is 7" wide. So a 205/40/17 tyre is what 90% of owners would have with 17's. Some have 215 wide but this might catch on the arches. Anyway 205 is really plenty wide enough. I'm using Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres and there the nuts. Toyo Proxes are also supposed to be very good but i've never actually tried them myself.[;)][;)]

Nad

Same as Ben said. I have 17's with Goodyear F1's on but also got a set of 16's for it as well with Toyos on. I also have Toyos on my Nova. IMO u get more tread on them as well.

Only get 17's if u dont intend to rag it too much. I have never driven with the 16's on but may leave them on and the 17's for shows etc. + I also have loads of part worn 16' Toyos lying around ready for track action [:D]

Nad

V's Fav webby

JapUK's first Martini Nova and the Champion Blue GTIR

http://www.rallymadnad.coolfreepages.com

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!!

Video of my car

A

Anonymous

I run yokohama's on my 17's and they seem extremely grippy [:D]. Might have to try these Toyo's tho everyone seems to have them!

Nick[^].

nickg123

The difference between Yoko A539 and Toyo Proxes T1's is incredible!!

In the wet or dry - the Toyo's feel like they generate so much more grip, especially in the Wet as this is where the Yoko's are pretty poot (IMO)!

I've had Falkens, Bridgestones, Yoko's all on my R - but nothing compares to Toyo - they're awesome!

www.anythingcars.net - Make All Your Pulsars Dreams Come True [8D]

J

jonnyboy

im on goodyear f1's, absolutely amazing tyre, wet or dry (probably come to life more in the wet,but dry just as good!!) wouldn't use anything else!!

i have heard yok's are good dry tyres, but s##t in the wet[?] is this the case as i have never used any[?]

A

Anonymous

Yea, cheers for the response, i did have proxes on my old 106 xsi, and they was the bollox,

Im just thinking about the size of wheel to go for, as i do like ragging cars, so would go for 16'', but i see alot of R's running on 17'', and ive been told that they dont really catch the arches, even when being hammered on the road, i spose a decent suspension set up is needed aswell,

Ben

bengilmore

The 17's won't rub, but they wouldn't be great for your gearbox, puts alot of strain on it. 16's seem to be a good comprimise between performance, looks and for your gearbox[;)][;)]

Cris

OK Boys then why do the 17s cause the wear on the gearbox etc.

Is it because they're larger diameter (if so why not run 205/35R17 which is the same rolling radius as the originals) or because they're heavier?

I ask because I'm about to fit some 17s myself and these things make me wonder if I should flog them for 16s...

B

blr123

It's the extra wieght and width of the tyre that puts' a lot of strain on everything.

Now Ben how's it goin good very very good by the sounds of it[:D]

17" wheels are def mainly for show 15" for performance and 16" for a happy medium as previously stated, even my 19 year old son doesn't want 17's, he's goin for either 15's or 16's then lowering.

However, sloooooooow down just a bit, I would suggest that before you start lashing out on new wheels IMHO it would be a much better idea to get the car properly tuned and set up.
At the same time any problems, if any, as yet unknown will show up and can be put rite there and then so the car is then in tiptop running order[:D]

Cheers Bryan

J

jonnyboy

anyone know what size brake's you can get behind 15" or 16" rim's [?]

i have 17" rim's at the moment, but only 304mm brake's
will these go behind 16" rim's [?]

kad 6 pot's!!............superleggs!!

B

blr123

Jonny do a search this has come up from time to time I'm sure there is loads of info.

Cheers Bryan

J

jonnyboy

Originally posted by Curtis
I have 310mm kit under 16" Oz Superleg's. You could get them grooved, but why weaken them?

thank's bryan, searched and found [;)][:D]

B

blr123

No probs Jonny,

On the subject of "Grooved" I recently saw a post where someone only got 180 yes that's rite 180miles from a set of pads, now that's what I call wear.

Cheers Bryan

J

jonnyboy

that's what the fella said to me when he fitted mine, i asked about drilled disc's and he said no point ( less breaking surface, and they could crack) but 180 miles!! blimey must have all been on the track [;)]

gtiRocKS